Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Movie Review: "Predators"

5. I'm surprised by how much I liked "Predators" given how silly it is, which is either a sign I'm losing my taste for good movies or the flick reaches that 12-year-old portion of my soul that enjoyed schlock like this at the Iowa Theater in Winterset nearly every summer week of my youth.

4. A bunch of hard-boiled military types are dropped from the sky onto a planet with spike-covered dogs and, of course, Predators, the famed monstrosities of four movies since 1987.

3. What happens next is a lot of stuff blowing up, people getting killed in interesting ways, a Yakuza-Predator sword fight and a twist that is so obvious that if you don't pick it up at the beginning of the film, I will lose some respect for you.

2. There's little point in discussing plot or acting -- their isn't much of either -- and the movie really slows down in the handful of moments the filmmakers waste developing character.

1. The only thing that could have made this movie better is if instead of a variety of human preys the Predators had taken a scoop of pop culture figures -- I'm thinking Wolverine, Optimus Prime, Rorschach from "The Watchman" and maybe Panthro from "Thundercats" -- and you'd have the great action figure team-up this movie was meant to be.

=====================
"Predators"
Run time: 1 hour, 47 minutes
Rated R‎‎
Genre: Action/Adventure/Horror/Scifi/Fantasy‎
Director: Nimród Antal
Cast: Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Walton Goggins, Oleg Taktarov
Finney's Flicks Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment