Thursday, October 28, 2010
Movie Review: "Red"
5. "Red" is basically "The Expendables" with a better cast.
4. I don't know if this new trend in action movies for the AARP crowd is disturbing or empowering.
3. On the one hand, it's nice to the senior set -- Morgan Freeman, 73, Helen Mirren, 55, John Malkovich, 56, and Bruce Willis, 55 -- get to blow stuff up and shoot bad guys with the reckless abandon not seen since the cocaine-fueled, inflation-endowed 1980s.
2. Yet "Red," just as "Expendibles," made me feel old because it meant we've been watching these people -- particularly Willis -- do basically the same thing again and again for more than two decades -- more than 57 percent of my life.
1. "Reds" is OK, not worth much more than an "eh," but it did leave me wondering if I needed to do something different with whatever percentage of movie-watching life I have left.
Run time: 1 hour, 51 minutes
Director: Robert Schwentke
Cast: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and Karl Urban
Finney's Flicks Grade: C